SPIKE Tool Specifications:
- Remotely operated
- Lightweight portability at 7 lbs.
- A larger tool accommodates cable sizes up to 3-1/2"
- Used on thermoplastic or thermosetting insulation and oil impregnated
- Used on aluminum and lead sheathed cable and interlock armored
- Pierces cable through it's center core
- Creates minimal cable damage
- Uses low velocity loads for actuation
Cable Spiking Tool Actuation
The SPIKE Tool
SPIKE Tool Inc. is the world's largest supplier of cable spiking tools.
We sell one product:
SPIKE is a safety tool...
designed for the sole purpose of protecting maintenance lineworkers
by providing positive assurance underground electric power cables
are de-energized prior to cutting.
Responsible electric power system operating and maintenance procedures
and in some jurisdictions health and safety law stipulates that prior
to cutting an underground or buried electric power cable it is spiked
to ensure it's de-energized.
The SPIKE Tool is a standard for underground electric power cable
maintenance and repair and is used as a standard training tool in
lineworker apprenticeship programs.
Over 10 percent of SPIKE Tools have been returned since 1976 - damaged
beyond repair due to spiking an incorrectly identified cable
-- Loss of life or serious injury has been avoided using SPIKE.
The SPIKE Tool is designed for remote operation, lightweight field
portability, low maintenance and a lifetime of dependable service
with maintenance and repair.
Don't guess...SPIKE it!